Blackheads Pimple Popping: WHY ONLY A DERMATOLOGIST SHOULD DO IT
If one is faced with the presence of a pimple that is on the verge of being manually ruptured, it is advised to refrain from doing so. It is advisable to read this document before proceeding further.
Blackheads Pimple Popping; Engaging in self-performed pimple extraction may result in unintended negative consequences. The act of extracting pimples and other acne blemishes may appear deceptively straightforward, as though it can be performed by anyone.
However, it is crucial to recognise that there exists a certain level of skill and technique involved in executing this procedure correctly. In order to prevent this, one must employ appropriate techniques.
The topic of concern pertains to the presence of permanent acne scars on the skin.
Blackheads Pimple Popping
- Acne that is more conspicuous
- Acne that causes heightened discomfort
- A microbial infection
The occurrence of undesirable side effects is probable when engaging in the act of self-extraction of pimples. When the contents of a pimple are inadvertently pushed further into the skin, as is frequently observed, the resultant consequence is an escalation in inflammation.
This phenomenon may result in a heightened visibility of acne. Certain individuals may experience the development of acne scars and associated discomfort.
Self-extraction of acne lesions carries the inherent potential for bacterial infection due to the presence of microorganisms on the hands.
Dermatologists Possess the Expertise to Safely Eliminate Acne.
Dermatologists employ many ways to effectively eliminate acne through physical means. One method commonly referred to as acne extraction entails the utilisation of sterile equipment to eliminate blackheads and whiteheads.
The procedure of acne extraction is typically provided as a last resort when alternative acne treatments prove ineffective in achieving skin clearance. It needs to be more frequently selected as a primary option due to the time-consuming nature and potential financial implications associated with it.
When conducted under the supervision of a physician, acne extraction is a secure method for eliminating blackheads and whiteheads.
Dermatologists employ an additional method to effectively eliminate a profound and distressing acne cyst or nodule. In order to accomplish this, a medical professional specialising in dermatology will administer an injection of a corticosteroid into the affected area. This process accelerates the wound healing process and mitigates the likelihood of scar formation.
An intradermal administration is a viable approach for managing a particularly severe acne nodule or cyst. The efficacy of this treatment in addressing many acne lesions is limited. Excessive administration of corticosteroids may result in the manifestation of undesirable adverse effects.
The administration of a corticosteroid should be performed exclusively by a medical professional with appropriate qualifications, such as a doctor.
In the context of treating a substantial pimple or a painful acne cyst or nodule, dermatologists may choose a technique known as incision and drainage. The procedure entails utilising a sterilised needle or surgical blade to incise the imperfection and, after that, extracting its contents.
The utilisation of appropriate methodology by dermatologists enables the efficacy of this process in facilitating the drainage of a pimple, cyst, or nodule.
Anticipated Outcomes of Acne Removal Techniques
During the process of acne extraction, a dermatologist employs sterilised equipment to effectively cleanse and evacuate the contents of your pores. Prior to proceeding, it may be necessary to undergo a skin exfoliation procedure.
- The recurrence of blackheads and whiteheads necessitates the implementation of a comprehensive skincare regimen in order to proactively deter the formation of fresh skin imperfections.
- The administration of a corticosteroid injection typically results in the reduction of size and flattening of the majority of acne nodules or cysts within a timeframe of 48 to 72 hours.
- The optimal timing for performing incision and drainage to effectively treat a pimple is crucial.
Methods for Alleviating the Discomfort of a Profound and Painful Cutaneous Lesion within the Domestic Setting
It is advisable to refrain from engaging in the act of pimple popping; nonetheless, it is possible to address the discomfort caused by a profound and agonising pimple by self-administered remedies within a domestic setting.
Acne manifests in several forms, encompassing blackheads, whiteheads, and the most severe kind, characterised by the formation of a deeply embedded pimple within the dermis. This particular variety of acne gives rise to a conspicuous, inflamed, and distressing bump, exhibiting redness, swelling, and tenderness.
To address this particular form of acne in a domestic setting, it is advisable to adhere to the recommendations provided by doctors. These guidelines aim to mitigate discomfort and diminish the dimensions, inflammation, and pigmentation of the pimple.
These approaches may be optional for addressing every imperfection. Acne is frequently resolved by the use of acne medication and appropriate skincare practices.
During the period of waiting for the skin to achieve clarity, individuals may experience the inclination to manually extract a prominent acne lesion or exert pressure on a comedone in order to expel its contents. This could result in a delay in the process of clearing.
- It is advisable to refrain from touching one’s face. The act of touching, picking, and popping acne lesions has the potential to exacerbate the condition.
- Alleviate discomfort by the application of ice. Certain types of acne, such as nodules and cysts, can elicit discomfort and anguish. The application of ice has been found to have a mitigating effect on inflammation.
- Manage and address the presence of acne on your skin. A significant number of individuals are able to alleviate their acne via the utilisation of treatment options that are readily available for purchase online or at local drugstores.
The efficacy of treatment is contingent upon the passage of time. If observable improvements in skin condition are not evident within a timeframe of 4 to 6 weeks, seeking the assistance of a dermatologist can facilitate the process of achieving clearer skin.
The development of patience in the current moment is expected to result in the desired outcome of enhanced skin clarity in the future.
Despite the persistent temptation to manually extract a pimple, one is now cognizant of the advantages associated with employing an alternative methodology. Furthermore, this can result in improved skin clarity.
Individuals who possess a propensity for developing acne derive advantages from acquiring knowledge regarding their specific skin type and the particular form of acne they experience. Establishing an effective lifestyle and skincare regimen can be beneficial for individuals of these particular types.
The Maintenance of Acne-Prone Skin After Blackheads Pimple Popping
Lifestyle modifications are frequently incorporated, with the initial adjustment commonly being the adoption of a more advanced and enhanced skincare regimen.
The concept of beauty is subjective and varies from person to person, encompassing various aspects such as individualised skincare routines, frequency of hair washing, and interest in different cosmetic products.
Blemish-prone skin refers to a skin condition characterised by a propensity for developing various types of imperfections, such as pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. Acne, on the other hand, is a specific kind of blemish-prone skin that manifests as inflammatory.
Categorised Into Two Distinct Types: Non Inflammatory and Inflammatory.
The term “noninflammatory” refers to a condition or response that does not involve inflammation.
Noninflammatory acne is distinguished by the occlusion of pilosebaceous follicles, leading to the development of comedones, either in the form of open comedones (blackheads) or closed comedones (whiteheads).
This particular variety is characterised by its moderate nature and can be readily identified. Blackheads exhibit melanin-rich pigmentation and possess a relatively low profile in relation to the skin surface. Whiteheads are characterised as little lumps on the skin that possess a colour similar to that of the individual’s skin tone.
Inflammatory acne is often categorised as any form of acne that exhibits a red or more pronounced appearance.
The range of skin lesions that are linked with this condition encompasses papules and pustules, as well as more serious manifestations such as nodules and cysts.
Papules are characterised as diminutive erythematous elevations, whereas pustules are little protuberances filled with purulent exudate. Papules frequently undergo a transition to pustules.
Additionally, There Exists a More Profound and Distressing Kind of Acne.
These inflammatory nodules are generally larger in size compared to a conventional pimple and provide the sensation of being located beneath the skin.
The purpose of this discourse is to compare and contrast the dermatological conditions known as acne and rosacea.
There is Occasional Confusion Between Acne and Rosacea.
Rosacea is a persistent dermatological disorder characterised by a proclivity for facial flushing and the development of chronic erythema, mostly affecting the facial region.
- The anatomical region commonly referred to as “cheeks” is a prominent feature of the face.
- The anatomical structure located on the face, specifically between the eyes and mouth, commonly referred
- The anatomical region located at the anterior part of the cranium,
- The term “chin” refers to the anatomical feature located on the lower part of the face.
- Among the several subtypes of rosacea, papulopustular or acne rosacea is frequently mistaken for acne. This particular category encompasses outbreaks that resemble acne.
In contrast, acne vulgaris is a prevalent form of acne distinguished by the presence of both inflammatory and noninflammatory lesions. Acne can manifest in several forms, including pimples, blackheads, cysts, and other dermatological manifestations.
Simultaneous coexistence of acne vulgaris and acne rosacea is a plausible occurrence.
The clinical manifestations of acne rosacea may encompass:
- The occurrence of flushing and redness
- The presence of discernible blood vessels on the surface of the skin.
- The individual experiences eruptions like acne and exhibits redness on their skin.
- Individuals with a heightened reactivity of their skin to external stimuli often experience what is commonly referred to as “sensitive skin.”
Elevated Areas of Dermal Tissue
Acne vulgaris is characterised by the obstruction of pores and can manifest in the following ways:
- Lesions packed with purulent material.
- Blackheads, also known as open comedones, are a common dermatological condition characterised by
- Whiteheads sometimes referred to as closed comedones, are a prevalent form of acne lesion distinguished by their specific characteristics.
- The condition of having an excess production of sebum on the skin is commonly referred to as oily skin.
- Cysts and nodules are pathological formations that can occur in many tissues and organs of the human body. These structures are characterised by their distinct morphological features and can be
In addition to variations in symptomatology, the aetiology of acne vulgaris is attributed to the obstruction of pilosebaceous follicles. The aetiology of acne rosacea remains uncertain. However, it is postulated to arise from a complex interplay of genetic predisposition and external influences.
The phenomenon of hereditary factors
An exaggerated response of the immunological system.
The mite is commonly referred to as Demodex.
The mechanism by which the human body metabolises the protein cathelicidin, which often serves as a protective agent against skin infections.
The aetiology of acne
The development of acne is attributed to a confluence of hormonal fluctuations, sebum production, and bacterial colonisation. The obstruction of follicles by sebum excretion from the pores occurs due to the amalgamation of oil, deceased skin cells, and germs. This phenomenon results in the development of acne.
- Every individual pore on the surface of the skin serves as an aperture for a hair follicle, comprising a hair strand and a sebaceous gland responsible for producing oil.
- The sebaceous gland secretes sebum, a substance that serves to moisturise and maintain the suppleness of the skin.
Various factors can contribute to the development of acne.
- The sebaceous glands are overproducing sebum, resulting in excessive oil production by the hair follicles.
- The accumulation of dead skin cells within the pores
- The accumulation of microorganisms within the skin’s pores.
- The excessive production of oil is commonly attributed to hormonal fluctuations, such as:
- The period of human development is characterised by the maturation of sexual organs and the onset of secondary.
- The menstrual cycle is a recurring physiological process that occurs in females of reproductive age, characterised by the shedding of the uterine lining and the release of an egg from the uterus.
- The state of being pregnant.
- Menopause is an inherent physiological phenomenon that signifies the cessation of a female’s reproductive capabilities.
- This is the rationale behind the potential efficacy of hormonal birth control in the management of acne problems.
While it is true that a significant number of adolescents encounter acne breakouts, it is important to note that acne is not limited to this age group and can manifest at any stage of life.
Regardless of the initial cause, the occurrence of acne is attributed to the obstruction of pores, subsequently leading to inflammation.
Relationship Between Acne and Skin Type.
There is an often observed association between oily skin and the occurrence of acne. Indeed, it is widely recognised that an excessive amount of oil is a well-established factor that contributes to the occurrence of breakouts.
However, individuals with dry skin types may still get acne owing to many circumstances, such as environmental conditions or inadequate skincare practices that cause skin irritation and pore blockage.
Understanding one’s specific skin type is crucial for effectively managing acne and implementing appropriate skincare practices.
According to Dr. Yoram Harth, a dermatologist who is certified by the board and serves as the medical director of MDacne, there exists a straightforward method to determine one’s skin type.
Initially, it is recommended to cleanse the facial area with a gentle soap specifically formulated for infants. Carefully and delicately pat it until it is dry. It is advised to refrain from applying any skin care products.
After many hours, proceed to analyse the condition of your skin. If an individual’s skin exhibits a shiny appearance, it can be indicative of the presence of oily skin. Dry skin can be identified by its flaky, rough, or reddened appearance.
Combination skin is characterised by dryness on the cheeks and increased sebum production on the forehead, nose, and chin, resulting in a glossy appearance in the T-zone.
Skin that is considered “normal” typically exhibits a radiant appearance without any discernible imperfections.
It is important to note that individuals can exhibit a propensity for acne development without necessarily experiencing dryness or oiliness in their skin.
According to physician Dr Viseslav Tonkovic-Capin, a significant proportion of individuals have experienced acne at least once during their lifetime.
The management of acne encompasses more than a mere trial-and-error approach with various skincare products. The approach involves meticulous cleansing and implementation of straightforward lifestyle modifications.
An essential aspect of successful preventative strategies encompasses:
- It is recommended to cleanse the facial skin twice daily and following episodes of perspirationPractising skin care with a delicate approach by refraining from using abrasive exfoliants.
- It is advised to refrain from engaging in the act of picking or popping.
- If necessary, it is advisable to employ safe extraction techniques under the supervision of a certified dermatologist.
- Regularly cleanse anything that touches your skin.
- The utilisation of noncomedogenic goods.
- Examining the substances used in hair care products
Washing the body twice a day
Maintaining proper hydrationIt is recommended to engage in a daily routine of washing the body twice a day, particularly after engaging in activities that induce perspiration. It is advisable to cleanse one’s face at awakening and prior to retiring for the night. Engaging in this activity more than two times a day, unless one experiences excessive perspiration, has the potential to cause skin irritation.
Handle the skin with care,
It is advisable to handle the skin with care, refraining from vigorous scrubbing or the use of abrasive exfoliating products.According to the speaker, acne should not be regarded as a consequence of uncleanliness. Consequently, employing aggressive scrubbing techniques and harsh exfoliating agents is not beneficial. It may exacerbate symptoms such as heightened redness and irritation.
It is advised to refrain from engaging in the act of plucking or popping. The act of popping a pimple can be highly enticing. However, engaging in such behaviour may result in the formation of scars. Additionally, it has the potential to introduce bacteria into adjacent pores, resulting in the transformation of a little pimple into a more severe and inflammatory form of acne. However, if it is necessary, it should be done in a manner that prioritises safety.
The appropriate technique for popping
The act of popping pimples is generally discouraged by a majority of medical professionals despite the fact that it remains a common practice among individuals. It is advisable to have a dermatologist carry out this procedure.
The optimal approach entails the application of a warm compress to facilitate pore opening, followed by the utilisation of sterile Q-tips to exert gentle pressure on both sides of the blackhead or whitehead.It is advisable to refrain from doing this procedure on more severe forms of acne, such as pustules.
Regularly cleanse any object or surface that comes into touch with the skin.
Various items such as bedding, makeup brushes, and phone displays have the potential to accumulate debris, which in turn can obstruct the pores of the skin.
In order to prevent the accumulation of debris within the skin’s pores, the American Academy of Dermatology recommends the regular replacement of bed sheets on a weekly basis and the substitution of pillowcases two to three times per week.
Ideally, it is recommended to cleanse makeup equipment on a daily basis. However, if it is not possible to do so, an alternative approach would be to wash them on a weekly basis instead.
It is recommended to utilise a specialised cleanser to sanitise mobile devices on a daily basis, preferably once or twice each day.
It is advisable to select non-comedogenic items.
The term “noncomedogenic” is frequently encountered in various skincare products.
Occasionally, it is referred to as oil-free, non-acnegenic, or alternatively, characterised by its non-pore-clogging properties. It is imperative for all skincare products intended for application on regions prone to acne to include labelling indicating their oil-free and non-comedogenic properties.
Any items bearing this label would exclusively benefit individuals with a propensity for acne. Regrettably, that is not the case.
Review the complete list of ingredients prior to utilisation.
It is recommended to exercise caution in the utilisation of certain commodities that include substances that have the potential to cause irritation, such as alcohol or fragrance.
Please evaluate your hair care regimen.
Hair care formulations, encompassing a range of products such as shampoos, conditioners, and basic styling agents, have the potential to induce the occurrence of skin breakouts in regions such as the forehead and neck.
It is advisable to refrain from using any merchandise that contains oils. Suppose there is a suspicion that one’s hair regimen may be the cause of acne. In that case, it is advisable to make changes to the routine in order to determine if any improvement occurs.
The presence of oil in the hair has the potential to be transferred onto the skin. It is advisable to minimise the presence of hair on one’s face, particularly during sleep.
Maintain proper hydration.
Maintaining skin hydration could mitigate the surplus sebum production that contributes to the development of acne. Nevertheless, there is a need for more studies to substantiate this claim.
Exhibit prudence while assessing claims on dietary regimens and nutritional supplements.
On the internet, there is a plethora of brands specialising in the sale of supplements that assert their ability to eliminate acne.
However, suppose an individual is significantly lacking in a certain vitamin. In that case, there is limited empirical data to substantiate the efficacy of these supplements in improving skin health.
Similarly, this principle applies to recommendations on one’s diet. Limited study has indicated a correlation between food and acne, as supported by a tiny body of evidence.
What Does a Skincare Regimen Designed to Combat Acne Entail?
Using a skincare regimen that is not suitable for your specific skin type or concerns can lead to the exacerbation of existing problems.
The following is a comprehensive guide outlining the recommended steps to be taken while managing skin that is prone to acne.
It is important to note that products with a lower weight tend to be more beneficial for the condition of one’s pores.
Key Ingredients to Consider
- Salicylic acid functions by effectively clearing obstructed pores and mitigating inflammatory responses. This treatment is particularly effective for addressing blackheads and whiteheads, and it may also expedite the resolution of pustules. I recommend utilising Stridex pads or Clinique Acne Solutions clinical clearing gel as potential remedies for your acne concerns.
- Benzoyl peroxide exhibits bactericidal properties against acne-causing bacteria, rendering it particularly efficacious in the treatment of inflammatory acne. The acne treatment products La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo and Paula’s Choice Clear daily treatment have received favourable ratings.
- Retinoids facilitate the exfoliation of the skin’s outermost layer, thereby eliminating the accumulation of deceased skin cells that obstruct the pores, among various other effects. In addition, they contribute to the mitigation of inflammation.
- For those who are commencing their skincare routine, it may be advantageous to explore the utilisation of Differin adapalene gel. Dermatologists possess the ability to prescribe more potent retinoids as well.
- The term “cleanser” refers to a substance or product used for the purpose of cleansing the skin in the morning, which might serve as a beneficial element within an acne treatment plan. Individuals with oily skin may consider using the Cetaphil Oil-Removing Foam Wash as a potential skincare option. If one possesses dry or sensitive skin, it is advisable to select the Differin Daily Deep Cleanser.
- The topic of discussion is toner. Utilise a toner as a means to eliminate surplus oil that could exacerbate the occurrence of acne. The Murad Clarifying Toner was specifically formulated for individuals with a tendency towards acne.
- The topic of discussion is moisturiser. Regardless of whether an individual’s skin type is dry or oily, the application of a moisturiser is essential for maintaining proper hydration of the skin. The CeraVe Facial Moisturising Lotion is noncomedogenic, meaning it does not cause pore blockage. To achieve optimal hydration, consider utilising the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel.
- The topic of discussion pertains to sunscreen. Certain acne treatments have the potential to heighten the skin’s susceptibility to sunlight exposure, as supported by a reliable source. Apply sunscreen with a sun that offers protection against a wide range of ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Two commonly chosen alternatives include the La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra-Light Sunscreen and the Tizo 2 Facial Mineral Sunscreen.
Cosmetics. Although not a crucial procedure, the application of makeup can effectively conceal blemishes and lingering redness. Both the Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Foundation and the Eucerin DermoPurifyer Cover Stick are formulated with salicylic acid, which is known for its efficacy in combating breakouts.
- The product in question is a cosmetic substance designed to effectively eliminate makeup from the skin. In the event that an individual has made the decision to apply makeup, it is imperative to ensure its thorough removal in order to maintain the unobstructed state of facial pores. The Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water is designed with the intention of providing a soothing effect on the skin. On the other hand, the Natura Bi-Phase Makeup Remover is formulated to be gentle and hydrating.
- The term “cleanser” refers to a substance or product that is used to clean. The activities of the day might result in a significant accumulation of dirt and impurities on the outer layer of the skin. It is recommended to employ ArtNaturals Clarifying Face Wash or Avene Antirougeurs Cleansing Lotion to effectively eliminate it gently prior to bedtime.
- The application of targeted treatment to a specific area. The application of a spot treatment following the cleaning process facilitates the penetration of the substances into the deeper layers of the skin. In addition to addressing current acne lesions, these solutions provide the ability to specifically address scarring and prevent the occurrence of future outbreaks. Consider the utilisation of the Peter Thomas Roth Acne-Clearing Gel or the REN Nondrying Acne Treatment as potential remedies for addressing acne-related concerns.
As required or when necessary
The term “exfoliant” refers to a substance or product that is used to remove. Although exfoliation may not be suitable for all individuals, incorporating a weekly or bi-weekly exfoliation routine can effectively eliminate accumulated dead skin cells, which have the potential to obstruct pores and contribute to the occurrence of acne outbreaks. If one is constrained by limited time, it is advisable to utilise Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Cleansing Pads. Another option to consider is the utilisation of the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum.
Facial coverings. A properly prepared facial mask, such as the Sunday Riley Saturn Sulphur Spot Treatment Mask or the GlamGlow Supermud Clearing Treatment, has the potential to address issues related to excessive oil production and pollutants, as well as provide hydration for dry skin and alleviate redness. For optimal outcomes, it is recommended to utilise the product up to three times each week.
Determining the Appropriate Time to Consult a Dermatologist Regarding One’s Acne
Mild acne is commonly managed by the utilisation of non-prescription medications available for purchase without a medical prescription.
In the event that there is no improvement, it is advisable to contemplate scheduling a consultation with a dermatologist who possesses board certification. Suppose an individual does not currently possess a dermatologist.
The statement above holds true for acne of moderate or severe classification, including cystic acne or acne that results in scarring of the skin. These categories necessitate the use of prescribed pharmaceuticals.
During the initial consultation, patients will be requested to provide a comprehensive account of their medical history as well as their present skincare regimen.
The dermatologist will subsequently conduct a thorough examination of the individual’s skin in order to ascertain the presence of acne and, if present, identify the specific kind.
You will likely be provided with a prescription for medicine, which may include topical, oral, or a combination of both, along with lifestyle suggestions. In addition, individuals may be requested to contemplate specific protocols aimed at alleviating skin discomfort and reducing the occurrence of scars.
It is advisable to anticipate the need for regular follow-up appointments, as it is customary for dermatologists to assess the progress of your skin and make necessary adjustments to your treatment regimen.
The Clinical Management of Acne
Dermatologists employ many therapeutic interventions to address the issue of acne. The options above can be categorised into two distinct groups: pharmaceutical interventions that require a prescription and medical operations that are performed within a healthcare facility.
According to Tonkovic-Capin, those above can encompass:
Prescription topical antibiotics refer to medicated ointments or creams that are prescribed by healthcare professionals for the cure of bacterial infections on the skin.
A brief regimen of orally administered antibiotics.
- Topical retinoids are a class of medications commonly used in dermatology for various skin conditions.
- Both retinoids, specifically tretinoin, and antibiotics, such as benzoyl peroxide and tetracyclines, are acknowledged as efficacious therapeutic options for the management of cysts and nodules.
- Hormonally-induced acne may necessitate the administration of prescription medications such as combination contraceptives or off-label oral spironolactone, which refers to the use of a medication for a purpose not officially endorsed by regulatory authorities.
- Nevertheless, despite hormones not being widely implicated in the development of acne, these drugs are frequently employed with favourable outcomes. Hence, individuals afflicted with acne are advised to consult their healthcare provider to determine the suitability of these treatments.
These procedures, conducted within the premises of a dermatologist’s clinic, have demonstrated utility in addressing various manifestations of acne.
According to Bair, lasers and chemical peels are effective in reducing redness and improving skin texture.
Lasers and light therapies possess the capacity to effectively eliminate P. acnes, the bacteria accountable for certain manifestations of acne, rendering them well-suited for treating more severe kinds of acne.
Chemical peels, in addition, have demonstrated efficacy in the management of certain acne variants.
Dermatologists possess the ability to perform drainage procedures on large, painful cysts that exhibit resistance to pharmacological interventions. This intervention serves to expedite the healing process and mitigate the likelihood of scarring.
Here Are the Some Finest Acne Patches for Instant Relief
What’s so attractive about the top spot treatments?
Use a pimple patch as part of your regular skincare routine instead of picking at your breakouts, which can lead to permanent scarring. These acne stickers are great for people of all skin types because they won’t dry up your skin like certain spot treatments can. (After all, even people without acne-prone skin can experience the occasional breakout.)
Dr. Elizabeth Tanzi of Capital Laser & Skin Care and associate clinical professor in the Department of Dermatology at the George Washington University Medical Centre says that a side benefit of using a pimple patch is that it keeps you from picking at your skin, which can aggravate existing acne.
Picking at blemishes “increases the inflammation and can slow down the healing process,” she warns, so this is crucial. When you pop a pimple, you increase your risk of infection, scarring, and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Best All Around: Mighty Patch by Hero Cosmetics, the Original
This non-drying acne patch has 36 stickers of uniform size, which effectively absorb oils and whitehead-derived pus to keep you from picking at your face. They’re produced with vegan hydrocolloid rather than gelatin (as some stickers still may be), and they have a matte finish, so they blend in better with a matte foundation. However, if you are worried about being seen, try the Mighty Patch Invisible+, which was awarded the Best of Beauty.
Excellent for Cysts: Sliced Peaches Puncture Darts for Severe Acne
The Reasons Why: These patches have 176 microscopic, harmless spikes that can be pushed further into the skin to treat severe or growing acne. While hyaluronic acid is niacinamide and can hydrate and soothe the skin, salicylic acid, tea tree oil, and willow bark are infused into the affected region to jumpstart the acne-healing process. This is how you can pop a zit before it even has a chance to become a full-blown problem.
ZitSticka Killa Kit Is the Best Microdart Patch, Period.
The Reasons Why: This pimple patch goes above and beyond the standard fare by being infused with salicylic acid, niacinamide (vitamin B3), and hyaluronic acid in dissolving microneedles. Bonus: If you’re prone to post-acne blemishes, niacinamide can help with that, too.
The cleansing swabs included with these blemish patches remove dead skin cells from around the affected area, preparing the skin for the patch’s active chemicals to penetrate deeper and reduce the pimple’s size, redness, and swelling.
Fastest-Acting: Positive Illumination.
If you want your zit gone as quickly as possible, go no further than these pimple patches from Luna, which can reduce swelling in as little as six hours (without drying the skin, no less). With two sizes available, vegan hydrocolloid construction, and dermatologist approval, these patches provide as promised.
The Most Adorable Pattern Ever: Star-Faced Hydra-Stars
The Reasons Why: Hydro-Stars, made of 100% hydrocolloid, are unapologetically bright yellow and, well, star-shaped; they are one of the first skincare brands to make acne treatment look joyful and enjoyable, which is saying something.
Longest-Lasting Effect: Using the Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patch
The value is there since these hydrocolloid circles stick to the skin wherever you go. (One Allure editor wore them to a Korean spa and said they were OK during several rounds in the sauna.) Despite their durability, though, they can be removed without much effort. There are three sizes available to provide the appropriate amount of protection.
Best Time of Day: Why You Should Invest in a Klog Soft Shield Acne Patch:
These hydrocolloid patches are practically unnoticeable and animal-friendly; their beveled edges provide a snug, comfortable fit even on the nose and chin. Even better: The two different sizes (10mm and 14mm) in each pack allow you to find the perfect match for your specific pimple.
Ideal for Inflamed Acne: Mills, Florence Targeted Treatment Acne Patches
The Reasons Why: The combination of salicylic acid (an exfoliant) and tea tree oil (an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory) in these patches not only prevents you from picking at your blemishes and making them worse but also keeps blocked pores and inflamed skin under control, both of which can be loosened with the use of salicylic acid.
These hydrocolloid stickers are so effective at soaking up excess oil and speeding up the healing of acne that they won the 2021 Best of Beauty Award.
Top Pick: Rael’s Miraculous Beauty Balm Covers Flaws Invisibly
The Reasons Why: With 96 patches in two sizes (10 mm and 12 mm) and a clear, matte finish that works with any skin tone, you’ll be covered for the day and ready for anything. Tapered edges prevent these hydrocolloid stickers from sliding around on smooth surfaces.
The Perfect Base For Your Face: Quick-Aid Patches from Curology
The Reasons Why: Use a thin and clear Curology Emergency Spot Patch on its own while you work, run errands, or sleep, or conceal it nearly undetectably under your makeup. No matter how you choose to sport it, you’ll be prepared to deal with any unexpected flaws. Did we mention they are also hypoallergenic, sweatproof, and waterproof? These meet all of our requirements.
Recommended for Adult Acne: So long, Acne-Healing Dots.
The Reasons Why: Everyone knows by now that acne’s deadliest enemy is salicylic acid, and the Peace Out Acne Healing Dots contain 0.5% salicylic acid. Calming aloe vera leaf extract lessens redness, while the classic acne-fighting substance clears pores of bacteria and dirt that contribute to acne. Another key component, retinyl acetate (a mild form of vitamin A), is known for its skin-evening properties.
For more interesting stories click here,